Who is Miesha Roshawn?

Sunday, May 30, 2010

In the beginning...starting my weight loss journey

I began to get serious about losing weight and getting in shape at the beginning of November 2009. I saw a picture of myself from my brother's 30th birthday party in August 2009 and I was mortified with what I saw! Yes this was me and I looked at myself in the mirror everyday but I didn't realize how big I had gotten! It was a major slap in the face. In the summer of 2009 I was at the heaviest weight I have ever been...a whopping 275!!!! Imagine my horror when I stepped off of the scale after seeing that number pop up! It was a sick and nauseating feeling and I remember thinking that there was no way I could redeem myself at that point. I had all but given up.

I began walking a few days a week in the summer but did little else to change my habits. I have never been a "junk food" person but I ate way too much of other things. I always ate seconds at dinner and sometimes even thirds...CRAZY!! By September I had fallen off of the wagon and stopped walking altogether.

I received a phone call in early November from a family member telling me my auntie Desiree (a very dear friend of my mother) was in the last stages of stomach cancer and that if I wanted to see her I'd better go soon. It took me a few days to make it to her house but nothing could have prepared me for what I saw. My beautiful auntie at the age of 43 had withered away to skin and bones. The last time I saw her was at my brother's party and we all thought that she was getting better. Seeing her go from being perfectly healthy a year prior to fighting for her life woke me up, seeing her that way changed me. I made a promise to her and myself on that day that I would get healthy and lose the excess weight I was carrying around. On December 19, 2009 she lost her battle with stomach cancer.

I'm glad that I have this picture with her to remind me of why I keep going. In her memory I am proud to say I've been able to keep my promise to her and myself. As of today I've lost 70 pounds since August 2009.

4 comments:

Ms. Cyone said...

I love your blog really, its amazing to see you come from 275 to where you are now, gives me motivation that it can be done, and I know I have to have patience because the loss won't come overnight.

Miesha Roshawn said...

Thanks for the love!! It took me a long time to reprogram my thinking. We do not gain weight overnight so therefore we will not lose it overnight. Some weeks the scale will not budge! Other weeks it'll drop significantly! The key is to keep working at it no matter what. Don't consider the option of giving up on yourself. Keep setting realistic goals for yourself!

*stacie-ann said...

OMG! this was such an inspiration. i've been trying to lose the close to 100lbs i gained during my first pregnancy last year & i almost almost almost made another excuse about whether or not i can indulge in my sisters bday cake/food. im back on track!! congrats on the weight loss! i am inspired, truly.

GastricDrasticDIVA said...

Iam really loving this blog and yes you do inspire me Iam almost 200lbs overweight and i need this kind of motivation and iam in the process of going through the channels to hae weight loss surgery

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...